Re: a cynic sees Buffalo

first off, i hope this owrks. this is the first time i've done this, and I
only hope i'm not making a big fool out of myself. If I am, please forgive
me.

	I've been on the list for about a month now, but haven't really
saiid anything 'cause I really didn't have much to say. But now I want to
say some things, and I thought now would be a good time to say them.
	Fist off, an introduction. My name's Where. (Well, that's not my
REAL name, but we're just gonna pretend it is.:) I'm 18 and a freshman at
Syracuse studying lighting design for the theatre. So naturally I've very
cynical when it comes to anything theatrical. (but more about that later).
I've been in love with The WHo since I was a freshman in high school
(shich, for someone my age, is a VERY long time). I've always though
Quadrophenia was the best album because I think that any and all teenagers
at soem point identify with Jimmy. Anyway, I had the extreme pleasure of
seeing THe Who for the first (and probably last) time on Saturday night at
the Marine Midland arena.
	As everyone already knows, the show was fabulous! To say I was
excited doesen't even come close. But there were only a coupld of things
wrong. 1) I had shit seats. We were in the third tier which gave us a
gresat view of the audience and a pretty lousy view of the stage. But that
was alright, 'cause you could plainly see John and Pete and Roger and
Simon. Anyone else was just background anyway. 2) The lighting was . . .
bad. Sorry guys, but I've done better lighting in my sleep. It just didn't
fit with the rest of the show. Maybe that's just me, and i'm just being my
overly cynical self. and 3) JOHN'S BASS WAS NEVER LOUD ENOUGH! From where
we were you could see his hands moving a mile aminute and knowing that he
was sdoin some really stellar stuff was ruined by the fact that you never
heard it. I liked the solo in 5.15, but I wanted it to be longer. Hell, I
wouldn't mind if he had a solo in every song.
 	Despite these things, a few stuck out as incredible. 1) the band.
How do they keep going like this after all this time? After all the
fights? I once remarked to someone who said that the band was a bunch of
old geezers that, "They may lok old until you put an instrument in their
hands. Tehn they all look 20 again." They may not sound as fresh and
sutting edge as they did then, but they still are the best band in the
world. 2) Simon Townshend. Wow! He really blew me away. I loved him. And
he loks a hell of a lot like his brother. And seeing him and Pete do a
tiny duet druing "Dirty Jobs" was incredible. It's almost like looking in
a mirror. Amazing! and 3) of course, Zak Starkey. The other girl I was
with thought he waas georgous, and loved him from the moment the thing
started. I thought he was better than Kenny Jones, but never as good as
Ketih Moon. But then again, who could ever be Keith Moon? Who would want
to?
	All in all, I had the best night of my entire life (despite the
fact that we got a speeding ticket on our way there). I wouldn't have
missed it for the world.  . . I do think that Pete should hold off on
making this a musical. I don't think the musical (despite all those who
say Jonathan Larson and "Rent" are the new messiah) is ready for Jimmy and
his personalities. And on that note, What the hell happened to the
origional Jimmy? I heard the broadcast of Madison Sq. Garden, and the
Jimmy (Phil Daniels?) was worlds better than this bloke. Maybe it was the
same guy, but the acting was awful and the inflection a hell of a lot
different. And what's with the changing of Jimmy's lines? Do leapers not
translate to the American audience? But I'm not angry. I am just a
perfectionist.
	Anyway. . this is getting real long so I let off saying that the
who are still the best around, all they need to do is get a new leghting
designer. Like Chris Kudroa, the guy who designs for Phish. Greatest
concert lighting I've ever seen.

	where