Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #602

Two responses to #602, fellow Who fans:

Henry Gambill wrote:

>>I challenge anyone out there to listen to the above Beatles songs,
but only to the drum tracks.  Then tell me that Ringo has
no "talent."<<

This is a good post.  People must realize that Beatle Music didn't require
the flamboyant drumming of Moon,  Baker, or Mitchell.  How would these
drummers have sounded had they played Beatle songs?  Their styles would not
have meshed with Lennon and McCartney songwriting like they did with their
own bands.  So I agree, let's not trash Ringo.  Having said this, anyone
interested in hearing the greatest rock drumming should listen to these
twelve Who songs:

1) The Real Me (Quad)
2) In a Hand or a Face (Who By Numbers--catch the amazing short solo toward
end of song)
3) Little Billy (Odds and Sods)
4) Bargain (Who's Next)
5) I Can See For Miles (The Best Of My Generation)
6) Overture/Sparks Medley (Tommy)
7) A Quick One (A Quick One)
8) I've Had Enough (Quad)
9) Magic Bus (Live at Leeds)
10) WGFA (Who's Next)
11) Happy Jack (Live at Leeds)
12) Cobwebs and Strange (Singles)

Andy wrote:

>>Pete:"...they, uh, they fornicate."
(loud oohhhs and huzzahhs and other crowd noises)
Roger:"What's that Pete?  I thought it was a station outside
Chippenunga(sp)."
One reason to get the newly remastered Live at Leeds disc:  The great
dialogue before "A Quick One."
Sorry for the advertisement, I just always laughed my head off each time I
hear that.<<

Please admonish me if I'm wrong but I could sware that it is Keith, not
Roger, who says "What's that Pete?  I thought it was a station outside
Chippenunga(sp)"

Matt Posillico
MattPos@aol.com