Re: Ringo Bashing

Salamander wrote: "Zak Starkey does NOT look like a cross between Keith
and Pete. I want to find out who started that myth. He looks like his
dear dad, Ringo. But luckily for all of us, Zak actually has some
TALENT."

Okay, time to speak up.  Thanks Salamander for the interesting review of the
Who gig, and I agree that Zac Starkey is tremendously talented --
especially in his "Who Playing -- but let's give old Ringo another listen
before we dump on him for the 1,000th time, okay?  No, Ringo was not flashy
like Keith or even Ginger Baker or Mitch Mitchell, but so what?  The Beatles
were not the Who and the Who were not the Beatles (thank God both ways).

DAy In the Life," "Strawberry Fields" and "Here Comes The Sun."  Notice how
he complements each song -- how "in the pocket" his fills are and how
steady and driving his backbeat is.  If anything, Ringo was the perfect
drummer for the fab five, and  numerous musicians (even famous ones
like Billy Joel and, yes, even Moonie) have said so.

Ringo, himself, used to say that he was the "greatest drummer in the world,"
but he was always quick to point out that he meant he was the "greatest"
because he played with the most FEELING.

I challenge anyone out there to listen to the above Beatles songs,
but only to the drum tracks.  Then tell me that Ringo has
no "talent."

- -- Henry Gambill (former drummer)