Re: The Who On Ice

Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 19:07:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Henry Gambill <hgambill@pepperdine.edu>
Subject: The Who On Ice
To: thewho@mpath.com
Sender: owner-thewho@mpath.com
        Although The Who used horns in their live shows after Moon's death,
     there certainly is a difference in the horn-laden '89 model Who.  I
     thought it was just to give the band a softer-volume sound to benefit
     Pete's hearing until I recently picked up a Pete 12-inch ("Give
     Blood") that had two Deep End performances on the flip.  "Won't Get
     Fooled Again" (which I don't think is on the Deep End Live! LP; don't
     have it) is exactly the same arrangement as the 1989 Who version.
     Barnes in "Maximum R'n'B" also says that the '89 Who was, despite
     Roger's protests, Deep End with The Who on vocals.
        As for changing the sound of The Who, The Who and Kit Lambert
     always wanted to use orchestration but couldn't afford it (cf. the
     "cello, cello, cello" bit on AQOWHA).  If Kit and Pete had had their
     druthers (and cash) "Tommy" would have been orchestrated from the
     beginning!  "Quadrophenia" 's thick synthesizer and horn sound is
     closer to the way Pete wanted The Who to sound than, say,
     "Substitute."  I think he just likes this particular sound (see the
     "Tommy" movie, the arrangement of "The Who's Tommy", et al.)  Pete
     just doesn't share the same musical taste as most Who fans it seems.

Author:  Henry Gambill <hgambill@pepperdine.edu> at Internet
 Sun Dec  7 14:37:57 PST 1997
Date:    5/23/96 7:07 PM

I am, by no means, a purist (okay maybe a little...) but it seems like
Townshend (and I say "Townshend" because I think it's his call)
wishes to turn what's left of THE WHO into the band CHICAGO. In fact,
I've heard Pete, rather sarcastically, refer to the '89 tour as "The Who on
ice."  Now here's my theories why:

(1) He "hates" the Who, but in a passive-aggressive way.  He cannot
bury the band for good, but is slowly humiliating it, perhaps secretly
or unconsciously rubbing his hand gleefully as the band turns into
a Vegas revue