Re: Who stuff (this time)

Hello again,
To begin - got a very nice post from a very concerned Canadian about LA
moving North at the rate of one inch per year (re:geothermal tectonic theory
discussed as an off topic subject in my last anti-censorship tirade).  Not to
worry friend - the weather wimps that live there can't handke ANYTHING under
70 degrees without crying or calling their shrinks!  (I can say this with
effect since I used to live there - for 15 very long years!)

On to cheerier topics (and ALL WHO RELATED FOLKS)

1) yes - Keith Moon did host a Don Kirshner Rock Concert and he did play a
drum solo (not very well) on a clear drum set, one of whose floor toms had
goldfish swimming in it - I have this on tape somewhere.

2)  best Pete song that the Who should have done - Rough Boys - should have,
should have, should have.

2A)  So Sad About Us SHOULD have been a Who single - in fact it was going to
be according to an MCA list I have with a catalog number to boot!

 3) The Who did do some bad songs - sorry to say for the person who felt they
never did.  All bands have done bad songs - it doesn't make them any worse of
a band.  Wayne Gretzky has played some bad hockey games - he's still the
greatest player to ever play the sport!.

4) The Who WERE censored - in 1966 by Atco records - when their one-off
(actually two-off since they issued the single twice under two different
numbers) studio version of "Substitute".  This one (which is STILL NOT ON ANY
LP OR CD - legitimately anyway)
has the chorus changed from "I look all white but my dad was black" to "I try
walking forward but my feet walk back".   I guess the "black" thing was too
controversial for 1966 lyrics.   This 45 should be in EVERY WHO collection by
the way.

5)  hello to all my friends on this list - hope you are doing well  (a brief
but fun announcement)

6)  I don't know if the reissued Richard Barnes "Maximum R & B" book is out
in the US or not but I do carry the UK version.  Should be getting more back
in stock soon (I blew out my initial 10 copies already)  as well as more of
the fabulous "Who In Sweden" book.  You can reach me below if you are
interested in getting a copy by mail order.

7) eschew that which need eschewing (enough said about this)

8)  Pete's Hi-watt stacks - I have seen many pictures where the PA mike is
pointed at a speaker in one of the lower cabinets.  Perhaps one was live and
the other a dummy for symmetry?   Also - according to Jim Marshall, the Who
were the first band to EVER use the 100 watt Marshall stacks later made
famous by Cream, Hendrix, Deep Purple etc.  But they dumped them fairly
quickly for Sound City, Sunn and then the Hi-watts.  Entwistle related a good
story in his Guitar Player interview about how the Hendrix guys came to see
the Who so they could copy the equipment the Who used.

9)  eschew obfuscation (more than enough said about this)

10) Finally - (the END IS NEAR FOLKS) - does anybody out there (WFang
perhaps) have a copy of the CD that was sold on the Entwistle tour for sale?
 I missed the shows in Ohio due to travel and could not buy one then.  Or -
we can trade for something off one of the CVC Collectables Who lists I send
out (new list soon kids).

Goodnight all - and thanks for being the best music list there is.
Greg Biggs
CVC Collectables
(419)586-6636
586-6763 fax