TOMMY in Germany

btm805@btrtx9.hrz.uni-bayreuth.de (B. Gramlich), wrote:
<<As for non-Who fans:  Keep in mind that `Broadway', unlike
<<e. g. `Webber', is not a magic word that automatically
<<attracts millions in Germany.  Thus only people who already
<<knew Tommy were likely to see the musical.

<<At least, that's how I explain the failure of Tommy here...

<<Bernd

Another reason is that Offenbach, where TOMMY is playing, is a suburb of
Frankfurt, and is not a major metropolitan area.  Tourists in NYC and London
will often go see a show in the course of sightseeing.  I doubt if any shows
in Offenbach have many walk-up ticket buyers.

TOMMY nearly closed late last year, but the government subsidized the
production, which allowed them to stay open a few more months.  Apparently,
the hope was/is to make Offenbach a cultural center.

Scott