Re: The Who Digest Vol 3 Num 142

On Wed, 22 May 1996, The Who Mailing List wrote:

> Chris, re:
>
> >Is the promo version of Pete's "Coolwalkingsmoothtalking..." any
> different to the official release?

No, just an early release for reviewing purposes.

>                        [] [] [][] [][] [] [][] [][] [] []
>
> 1) Tommy vs. Quadrophenia movies:

Short version: I've lost count of the number of times I've seen
"Tommy"; seeing "Quad" for the second time is on my list of things to
do sometime.

Long version: I love Russell's ability to switch back and forth
visually from a character's internal mental state to objective reality
(e.g., as in the "Amazing Journey" sequence when he cuts from the
psychedelic visions to Tommy standing in front of a mirror), as well
as his courage if you will, nerve if you prefer, in filming the things
he dares to dream (e.g. the famous beans-n-chocolate scene -- it may
seem kind of old-hat now, but imagine what it took to conceive and
then film the scene at the time).  This ability on Russell's part
perfectly fits the internal/external problem Tommy faces.

I think each song is like a carefully-crafted gem, at least up through
"I'm Free" or "Sensation" (except for the embarrassing biker-gang
line-dance).  Personally, for me the whole movie loses its punch and
appeal after Tommy is cured, although there are individual standout
moments.  From the beginning, though -- I'll always remember how
horrified I was the first time I saw Capt. Walker in the seat of the
flaming plane, I really could imagine what that would be like; the
burst of sublime music as Nora and Bernie turn to each other after
putting Tommy to bed (shat on, to be sure, all too soon by Oliver
Reed's singing voice :-); the incredible visuals, especially
considering the technology at the time, in Amazing Journey, on top of
the superb music, plus the introduction of Tommy's father as the
avatar/guide; Christmas is OK as is, but I especially love it for
setting up the cut from young Tommy's face to Roger's; Eyesight's
brilliant biting take on cults and churches of all types and sizes,
plus the enveloping pounding bassline under Eric's wailing; the Acid
Queen, with more exciting and psychologically potent visuals over an
incredible score (unfortunately cut on the soundtrack releases)...on
and on.  Each one, a standalone gem.

The one time I saw Quad, through a combination of the accents and a
horrendous sound system I could only understand maybe 40% of the
dialogue, and I was very unimpressed by what they did with the music,
cutting songs as they did.  I was expecting something that emphasized
the music as much as Tommy did; once I found that that was not the
case a lot of my interest disappeared.  I do remember that there's a
really bad edit just before the falling motorcycle hits the rocks (I
see that clip occasionally on TV or wherever).  I would like to see it
again sometime to see what I've missed, but I'd like to see it in a
theatre as it was meant to be seen, which as you might imagine is a
long wait.  I have the soundtracks and like them a lot.

> What Who (or PT) song that was released as a single should never have
> been?

Squeeze Box!! (repeated as needed).  I understand how someone could be
down on Athena, but I like it OK.

> What Who (or PT) song that wasn't ever a major release should have
> been?

Well, I believe Relay was available in some form for years, but I'll
join together with those who think it should have been given way more
exposure.  Relay and Join Together were the real joys of the Hooligans
release for me.  Oddly, the '89 treatment of Join Together actually
lessened my enjoyment of it by the end of the tour, although perhaps I
would have thought differently had I only seen it once.  I still go
back to the studio release for maximum fun :-).

> Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 09:43:04 +0100 (BST)
> From: Dave Shipway <dave.shipway@admin.ox.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: 3/4 Who content
>
> > "Major release"? The fact that "Relay" was only a single, then a rarity never
> > made much sense. Great song... Even better live!
>
> As long as Simon Townshend can remember the chords !

It wasn't the chords he forgot, it was the stopping point.  Which
resulted in another chorus to get it right, and yet another one just
for grins.  I loved it!

--
Alan McKendree          amck@eden.com           512-478-9900
Adhesive Media, 101 W. 6th St., Ste. 210, Austin, TX   78701