Dr. Who and Mr. Townshend

,I thought everybody knows the British TV series "Dr. Who". It's been
>going on since the early '60's. Science Fiction fans love Dr. Who.
>However, even though they existed in the same space zone, I don't think our
>favorite band took their name from "Dr. Who".

Er...uh...I think not. "Science Fiction fans love Dr. Who." is way
overstating the situation. I've been an SF fan since the mid `60s, and find
Dr. Who among the worst of the SF TV I've seen (along with Alf and Land Of
The Giants). I might say that a few SF fans love it, but their taste would
be...as they say...in their mouths. That show showcases the worst excesses
(Bug Eyed Monsters who all hate Earthpeople, who are of course their
superiors in every way) and the least intelligent plots since Lost In Space.
In fact, LIS beats it out if simply for the presence of Dr. Smith. Yes, and
the stupid special effects beat DW too.
No, people who enjoy the works of authors like Asimov, Heinlein, Ellison,
Foster, Niven, etc. would see Dr. Who as what it was: a children's show on
the level of Sigmund The Sea Monster (who was easily topped by Cecil The
Sea-Sick Sea Serpent, after all). Crap. Trash. Garbage. The kind of thing
that makes non-SF fans think all of the genre is trivial. Which it is not.
See the Foundation Trilogy for details.
Ah, there's nothing like venting. I know it's gonna cost me three more
"please keep it on topic for the list" notes from Rich T, but it's worth it.
Tell you what RT, I'll raise you five Deep Purple notes...I think you're
bluffing.
The band definitely did NOT get their name from that show. No freakin' way.

                   Cheers                   ML