Who Sounds Good (solo)

Roger Daltrey

-------------------
Daltrey

The German CD sounds as good as any vinyl pressing
--------------------
Ride A Rockhorse

UK or German pressing. The MCA sounds good, but is a bit noisy. NO CD.
--------------------
Lisztomania

USA pressing sounds fine (A&M label). Supposedly this was released on CD in
Japan, but I've never seen it...
---------------------
One of the Boys

UK pressing. Also has "Written On The Wind" which didn't make it stateside...
No CD.
----------------------
McVicar

Clear Vinyl UK is superior to USA. CD sounds probably just as good (no
noticeable sound difference between German & USA CDs..._
-----------------------
Best Bits

French vinyl better than MCA. No CD.
-------------------------------------
Parting Should Be Painless

USA copy sounds best... No CD.
-------------------------------------
Under A Raging Moon

UK/German vinyl sounds the best. Both USA vinyl and UK/USA CDs sound too
tinny. The above vinyl sounds a tiny bit smoother, but makes a difference on
your ears...
--------------------------------------
Can't Wait To See The Movie

Vinyl version has a different mix of "When The Thunder Comes", but soundwise,
no difference really between that or the "Euro" or USA CDs...

Rocks In The Head
--------------------------------------
USA CD only. (to the best of my knowledge) No vinyl issued.

Daltrey Sings Townshend (or whatever it's called)
--------------------------------------
See entry just above...

John Entwistle
--------------------------------------
All vinyl (except for new Anthology & "The Rock"). I would say that the 1st 4
albums sound better on UK or German vinyl, except for "Too Late The Hero",
which sounds better on the USA pressing...

Pete Townshend
--------------------------------------
All the CDs sound as good as or better than vinyl with the following
exceptions:

"Happy Birthday" still has "Mary Jane", otherwise unreleased. "I Am" still
the only source for the "official" instrumental "Baba O'Riley" demo and "With
Love" has "Meher", otherwise unreleased.

"Empty Glass". I do not like ANY CD version as much as the original vinyl.
The gold version comes the closest, but still not good enough. All other CDs
seem WAY too tinny. The USA vinyl sounds fine and I never played my Japanese
vinyl version...

"White City". I'll go with the German vinyl on this as it sounds a bit
"softer" than the CD version(s). I think 1985 was a bad year for CDs as they
still were experimenting. The same problem hit "Under A Raging Moon"...

Keith Moon
I'll go with the USA MCA on this one... sounds a bit crisper... No CD...

-wf