Re: WN vs QUAD + Stones & Beatles

>No, there weren't backing tapes in '82, but there wasn't a keyboard player in
>73/74. Much of the backing (not horns) was the piano track from Drowned,
>5:15, etc. Love Reign... uses piano as well as extensive synth parts to play
>the strings on 82/89 tours.

Litgo:

I think it's a given that there will be a keyboard player in all future
incarnations of The Who.

>IMO, the difference is for Tommy and everything before it, it was primarily a
>trio in the studio (not counting the occasional horn or dog), and the piano
>was used to reinforce the rythym. This sound was easily adapted to the stage,
>primarily with volume. No one missed the piano parts in Go to the Mirror, for
>example, on stage, because it doesn't play a front role. After LAL, with WN,
>but especially with QUAD, the trio is playing behind a 'wall of sound,' (Phil
>Spector term) so to speak, that couldn't be replicated with guitar, bass and
>drums. The piano, and string sounds dominated the music. Chris Stainton's
>piano is great on Drowned, but by refusing to add a keyboardist for the
>stage, those songs wouldv'e required completely different arrangements.

My point was that what The Who play in QUAD is more like what they play live
than the music in WN. Even with a keyboard player, they still have to change
the songs more.

                   Cheers                   ML