Re: Keith's drum stick grip

Paul Stevens wrote:

>I've also noticed from watching videos that Keith has a very unorthodox way
of >holding his sticks.  The textbook approach for "matched grip" (as
opposed to >"rudimental grip") is to let both sticks pivot by holding them
tightly between >thumb and index finger.  The remaining 3 fingers are used
to guide the sticks >and most of the energy comes from your wrist.

>Keith appears to have a stiffer grip where he wraps all of his fingers
around >the stick and then most of the energy is coming from movement in the
elbows.  >This also causes him to play with his shoulders up and elbows out,
where a more >traditional drummer has his shoulders down and elbows in.

        Now that you explain it (very well, to a fellow musician) I now know
why I always thought he was sitting funny.  I am instantly reminded of
"Young Man Blues" from... I think it's on the Maximum R&B video.  He's the
White Tornado (all white clothes) with a fruit-bowl haircut.  There's a cut
to him as he's waiting for Roger to finish wailing, and he twirls his stick
just before grasping it tightly to his wrist.
JenniferD
A Guitar          _________

"Do you really think I care what you read or what you wear?"