Re: The Who Digest Vol 3 Num 127

>From: Nervos@aol.com
>Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 13:36:53 -0400
>Subject: Re: solo inspiration
>
> Friend of mine from work saw Pete @ HOB. Said he was great, audience was a
>bunch of assholes.  & something about throwing shoes on the stage?

Pete said when he came out that if the audience threw anything on stage
(including shoes) he was leaving.  Later in the show, someone flung a
baseball cap up on stage, which hit Pete in the face softly as it came
down; he kept on playing as though nothing had happened.

>Date: 	Mon, 6 May 1996 13:37:05 -0400
>From: Doug Ciceri <dciceri@credit.erin.utoronto.ca>
>Subject: Mungo Jerry
>
>I am a few digests behind but noticed that someone a few days ago was
>mentioning  the old Marquee in Britain.

Hi, Mr. Someone speaking.

  In the same letter they seemed to
>ridicule Mungo Jerry.  Recall that Mungo Jerry's 'In The Summertime' was a
>huge hit;

I remember.

  Mungo Jerry wrote that tune under the same influence that Eddie
>Cochrane wrote 'Summertime Blues'.  So let's keep the Mungo Jerry abuse to a
>minimum;  save  that for the Mungo Jerry homepage.

Mungo Jerry abuse should be on the MJ homepage??  Um, OK...:-)

I have no axe to grind against Mr. Jerry; I just have him alongside Norman
Greenbaum, Smith, and Zaeger & Evans on my mental list of one-hit wonders,
and thus find it odd he's mentioned on the same plaque as The Who.  (Now, I
_love_ two out of three of those aforementioned one-hit examples (guess
which?), so please don't think I'm down on one-hit wonders on principle.)
Perhaps Jerry had a much greater career & following in the  UK than I am
aware of here in the States?  Terence Trent d'Arby was on that plaque, too,
if anyone wants to start a thread on him...

>Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 14:04:13 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Mason T. Weinrich" <mtw@shore.net>
>Subject: Comments, Alan?
>

>I just wanted to prod Alan McKendree from Texas to post his thoughts on the
>list about the 5 PT shows he went to - what were ups and downs about each.

<sigh>  Mason, I should disown you :-).  Do I have the time to do this?  I
still have unfiled pictures from last year laying around accusingly...

>Alan definitely gets "Fan of the year" for his miles over the past week, and
>as the only person I know who went to each show,

I know at least three people (non-listers or lurkers) who also were at all
the shows, and one more mostly-lurker who was at at least four, so the
award must be shared.  Thanks for the thought, though.

 I would love to hear his
>thoughts on each one now that they are over.  Up to it, Alan?

Um, now that I've tried to sidestep all I can...let me wait another day.
I'll try to come up with something worthwhile :-).

>Date: Mon, 6 May 96 13:58:30 EDT
>From: Marc V Conte <mconte@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
>Subject: Letterman
>
>Pete was not really cut off--he just gave the audience a bonus as they need
>music to go to a commercial anyway.  Pete did the same thing when he was on
>Letterman in '89.  He played something from Psychoderlict (Don't try to make
>me real?) and then broke into Substitute for the commercial break.

Without checking the tape (who has the time :-) I think "A Friend is a
Friend" is what he played.  Someone please correct and flame the crap out
of me if I'm wrong.

>Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 14:26:31 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Gary M. Gillman" <garyg@inforamp.net>
>Subject: Supper Club Shows
>
>Unless I missed it I haven`t seen a comment as to whether Townshend did the
>exciting, physical side of his stage show of yore, i.e., scissor kicks,
>splits or crouched leaps. And what about those famous windmills? Or is that
>all part of the past now......Gary M.

Part of the past.  The closest he got was one or two quick lurch/backsteps,
if you know what I mean.  Once he did the "play it on the hip" position; in
San Francisco he ran about half the stage width once.  But the physicality
you're probably thinking of was absent.

>From: marini@ben.dev.upenn.edu (Janice K. Marini)
>Subject: NY Times review
>Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 16:56:27 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Did anyone/everyone see the review of PT's 5/3 Supper Club show in
>today's NY Times?  I've read it 4 times, and I'm still not exactly sure
>what the author means in some places --esp the comparison w/ Elton John.
>Puh-leeeze.  I'll post it if y'all haven't seen it.

Please do.

>Sorry to rub it in the faces (and monitors) of those who couldn't make it
>to the NY shows, but it really was remarkable to be there.  Where else in
>the world could you find a room full of people singing along to the line
>"Queen of the fucking universe"?

That was pretty cool.  What I thought was weird was 1,000 people earnestly
bellowing all together, "I'M ONE".

>From: NakedEye10@aol.com
>Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 17:40:34 -0400
>Subject: Video Repeat
>
>I repeat my request for commentary on the following videos:
>Houston '89 - Pro 135

I've got this one.  It's professionally shot & edited (numerous cameras);
video quality is a bit grainy but no worse than you'd expect when copying
VHS tape.

>Thank you.  And again, what's the title on the Charlton CD?

"Who Put The Boot In."  This is a brand new one from Japan, Charlton '74.
I had an opportunity to hear a bit of it recently and the sound quality is
very good.

>From: A64athena@aol.com
>Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 20:38:46 -0400
>Subject: Mould at the Supper Club
>
> I admire greatly the way he handled the fact that some
>people were practically booing him off the stage. Anyone who opens for Pete
>would have to expect that.

The LA and SF opening acts were respectfully received and applauded.  LA
was a blues duo on slide and harp and SF was a solo guitar player, also
blues-oriented.

>From: "J. Christian Tennant" <TENNJOHN@uofrlaw.urich.edu>
>Date:          Tue, 7 May 1996 00:30:38 EST
>Subject:       New JAE date!
>
>Hi all,
>    I have seen a listing that JAE will be playing here in Richmond,
>Virginia on June 26.  He will be playing at Innsbrook After Hours.
>I find this date a bit interesting because it is so close to the Hyde
>Park show.  Have any JAE insiders (WF, Alan) heard anything that may
>or may not confirm this?

I'd say I find the date "unlikely", rather than "interesting".  What's the
source?  I'm not Nostradamus; I do hope it happens, but I'd say don't get
excited about this one until you get some confirmation.

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend