WN vs QUAD + Stones & Beatles

> Ian:
>
> I'll be the first to admit that I'm NOT a drummer, so my opinion comes as a
> layman (which is how my last name is pronounced, so that's just as it should
> be). Subjectively, I love the drums on QUAD, no matter the skill level
> shown. If it's not as complex, that doesn't show (at least, to me). The
> drumming certainly fits the music.

My point was that WN showed all four musicians at their peak musically.
Townshend may have taken more risks writing Quad because it was was years
ahead of its time, but band never played as well together than on WN.

> This is the first I've heard anyone call QUAD perfect. I mean, it's the
> perfect Who album (in the sense that it's a watershed for the performance
> and songwriting) and my pick for greatest Rock album of all time (in that it
> literally defines Rock music)...but The Who were never perfect, and their
> flaws are what have made them unique and lovable.

My definition of perfect meant that it was overproduced, moreso than you
claim WN to be.  And Quad was the closest to perfect the Who ever became
(in the sense of lacking the character of previous albums).

> REVOLVER, perhaps my favorite Beatles album (tied with SPLHCB & ABBEY ROAD),
> also seems to me to be disjointed...at least, the style of music changes
> with each song. A good thing, in that case. It works and makes the album
> interesting. It was intentional, unlike LIB where the producer (Miller?)
> just threw on what was around.
> Maybe I just like disjointed. On the other hand, TOMMY and QUAD are two of
> my favorites...
> So I'm not sure what you mean by "assured." Perhaps you could enlighten me.

I think what the Rolling Stone author meant as assured was every song on the
album was a winner, zero clunkers.  There are a couple LIB tunes I never
liked that much but songs like Monkey Man are once in a Stones lifetime
in the classic dept.  Actually I don't think there is a perfect Stones
album for me, Sticky Fingers or Beggars Banquet come close.