Selective Sensitivity

WARNING - POTENTIAL WASTE OF BANDWIDTH!!

A couple of weeks ago (or maybe longer), there was a thread regarding the
meanings of apple scrumping, gelt, and the German word from "Communication"
which I don't care to attempt to spell.  While in a silly and sarcastic mood,
I posted that I wanted to be a gelding, but at least I didn't want to be a
German.  The gelding part I thought was pretty funny (although somebody felt
it necessary a few days later to point out to me what a gelding was) - but I
felt a little embarrassed by the German remark after I transmitted it.  I
felt that, given the sarcastic tone of the whole post, no offense would have
been taken by the remark.  However, I wasn't sure how the post was going to
be received since sarcasm doesn't always translate well over e-mail (as
evidenced by the person who reminded me what a gelding was).  Besides, some
of my best friends are German.

The point is this - NOBODY, either publicly or privately, took offense to the
remark!
This can be attributable to two possible phenomena:

1)  We are only sensitive about remarks made about certain races or ethnic
groups, or

2)  We are only offended by remarks made by certain persons.

Whichever explanation is correct is irrevelant - both reflect bias...

{BEGIN OBLIGATORY WHO CONTENT}

While in Austin a couple of months ago, I purchased a boot at a record store
titled "Who Goes There?"  It's a Kenney Jones era show, but no date or place
is credited in the liner notes.  Does anyone know what show this is from??

John

NP:  Sportscenter