Re: Who and Kinks

>Interesting that there`s not been more discussion on the list of the many
>links between the Who and the Kinks, at least since I`ve been on the list. I
>got to thinking of this recently while listening continually to
>Coolwalking....  and other PT solo material. Many of PT`s slower, folkish
>tunes are reminiscent of Ray Davies` quieter, more reflective songs, both in
>sound and lyrical content.

Gary M:

There has been discussion along these lines in the past. As resident `Eavy
Kinks fan, I suppose I should add my 3 cents...
I didn't hear that. I mean, they're both British Rockers from the same time,
so it makes sense that they have a similar sound. But Davies has always
written wistful, reflective tunes...whereas Pete has always been introspective.

>There are many such
>intersections between the two bands - eg. sharing Shel Talmy as a producer
>and the crunching riff-rock of I Can`t Explain and You Really Got Me; the
>influence of PT`s stage act on Davies` 70`s and 80`s shows - eg.

There are also three songs both bands recorded: Batman, Bald Headed Woman,
and another which I can't recall at the moment because Rap music is playing
here in the store...

> but arguably the Kinks
>were more consistent as a band by the mid-70`s and early 80`s.

I would definitely argue that. The Kinks hit a big slump after `71, and
didn't recover until `75. It was `78 before they began to recover
commercially, and by then we're talking about post-Moon Who. So...

>Thus, by then
>the Kinks were again putting out excellent hard rock like Around the Dial,
>Prince of the Punks, Father Christmas and the very Who-like, superb Do It
>Again, whereas the Who had abandoned the genre. This leads to three
>questions: did members of the Who ever perform on stage with members of the
>Kinks? Second, did the Who ever record a Kinks song? I believe Glow Girl was
>written by Davies, but I may be mistaken. Third, did the Who ever perform
>Kinks material on stage?......Gary M.

OK, you know about the three common songs (and I will get the other one
posted when I can think). The Who and Kinks performed together in the early
`60s, with The Who opening for The Kinks. On the Marquee 1965 boot, The Who
play off the You Really Got Me riff, but don't actually play the song.

                   Cheers                   ML