Re: PT hearing

At 19:20 01/05/96 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 96-05-01 17:06:55 EDT, garyg@inforamp.net (Gary M.
>Gillman) writes:
>
>>As it seems, unfortunately, that I won`t be able to catch any of PT`s
>>current shows, I would appreciate if listers who attend and post their
>>impressions would also report on any apparent hearing difficulties
>>experienced by PT during these shows, in light of his well-publicised
>>earlier hearing difficulties.
>
>JAE played the Fillmore 2 months ago and the music was quite loud as has been
>posted many times.  The Townshend show was much more quiet in comparison.
> Pete was wearing ear plugs, but was answering comments from the fans in the
>first few rows.  He seemed to be hearing fine, but it's not like anyone was
>having a regular conversation with him while he was on stage.  Unlike the JAE
>show, my ears were not ringing as I left the Fillmore.
>

>Interesting. But how did you establish, exactly, that he was wearing ear
plugs? I presume you saw a device in his ears which resembled ear plugs (as
opposed to being told this by PT or an associate). But could these "plugs"
have been a kind of earphone whereby PT or the sound board could ensure the
decibel level did not exceed a certain level? We`ve always understood on the
list that PT could not wear true ear plugs because it interfered with his
singing. And if they are true plugs, why can`t he use them safely to rock
out on the Gibson SG/Hiwatt-type rig, like he used to? Or does he simply not
want to do that for reasons unrelated to auditory concerns? Very
strange.....Gary M.