Re: Who follows Who

On Sat, 30 Mar 1996 WFang01@aol.com wrote:

> Marshall, re:
>
> >3) Prefab Sprout
>
> I was looking at the new "Prefab Sprout" CD and saw Pete Townshend credited.
> Exactly what does he do on the album???
>
> -wf

What does he do?  Not much, actually.  He plays some barely audible
acoustic guitar on a track called "Hey Manhattan!"  He was apparently in
some nearby studio recording (I think) "the Iron Man" and heard that the
Prefabs were next door.  Being an announced fan of what was then their
previous record, "Two Wheels Good" (a classic), Townshend walked next door
to meet the group's gifted composer and to say a few congratulatory words.
Said gifted composer, yclept Paddy McAloon, proceeded to cajole Mr. T.
into playing on the track being worked on at the time.  Townshend grabbed
an acoustic guitar, asked for the chords, and strummed away.  He's mixed
way down primarily because the particular track that features him is a
heavily orchestrated pop number more of the Cole Porter rather than the
Pete Townshend School of Pop Arranging.  Though, incidentally, Pete
himself has shown considerable dexterity at marrying his own style to that
of the C.P. School, particularly in his more recent work, which perhaps
explains his keen interest in Prefab Sprout, definitely of the C.P. and
G.G. and P.Mc. and E.C. Schools of lush and irrisitible pop.  (Bonus
points for those who properly guess the names behind the other three
schools mentions above.  You will be graded on originality.)

Marshall