No Subject

>The main debate is whether or not to include a full
>version of Tommy from either Leeds or Hull.  On a 2 CD set this will fill
>most of one disc and block out a lot of other stuff.  This concerned me
but I
>can understand the thinking behind it.  Chris Charlesworth said a full
Tommy
>performance would be justified if he could persuade the record companies
>make this a 3 CD set !  It would be great if this could happen.
Personally, I don't see why you need to include a complete Tommy set if one
will already appear on the Isle of Wight release.  What they really should
do is release a single disc Tommy Live at Leeds and simply leave the Tommy
material off of the 2 CD set.  Of course, if I have to buy it as part of a
3 CD set, I will!  Now could someone please post some addresses we can all
write to in order to convince these record company execs that the greatest
live rock band ever deserves more than 2 CDs?

>the starting point is likely to be the two Fillmore East shows from April
1968.  >Already earmarked if the tape is up to scratch is "C'mon Everybody"
- one of the >rarest items available.  The set will offer a selection of
tracks from Woodstock 1969, >Leeds 1970, Hull 1970, Young Vic 1971, San
Francisco 1971, Philadelphia 1973, >Landover 1973, Charlton 1974, and
Swansea 1976.  It is most likely to end with the >great version of "Won't
Get Fooled Again" from Swansea.
After the 2 (or 3 CD) set is released, why not release some of these
individual shows in their entirety?  Even if MCA & Polydor balk at the
idea, I'm sure that some smaller labels (Rhino & Ryko in the U.S., Castle
in Europe) would be more than happy to release them, or they could be sold
by mail order only like the Grateful Dead Dick's Picks CDs.

>Most interesting,however, is a tape that has been offered from someone in
America >who has an official mixing desk recording of the show at Cleveland
Musicarnival >1968 (Is that you Fang ?).  It remains to be seen whether
this will sound good enough.
Someone actually told me the story behind this tape a few months ago.  If I
recall correctly, the Who were performing on the same bill as one of Eric
Carmen's pre-Raspberry bands, and that the people who made the tape were
friends of Eric's band (who were also recorded).  The person who told me
about this has some ties to bootleg labels and apparently tried
(unsuccessfully) to procure the tape himself.