Re: Pete playing Strats

>            I always thought one of the reasons Pete started playing
>Strats was they are more durable guitars than Ricks.  When it came
>time to smash the guitar,  you get a much better show if the guitar
>doesn't give up the first time it hits something.  It is much more
>dramatic to watch if he has to work at trying to make it crumble.
>Hollow body Ricks are just too fragile.
>           He may have been influenced by Jimi when it came to a
>sound he was trying to get, but I think there was more going on.
>                                                      Brad

        I think this is all true, but I also think a lot of Pete's decision
to switch to Strats was due to the fact that Hendrix with his signature
Stratocaster became an icon very fast.  It was a symbol of a new sound and
a new evolution of Rock.  Pete probably looked at his Rickenbacker and
found it to be suddenly "outdated."
                                                                   Stacey