Keith Hearn Remembers Leeds Concert

Tonight I received by private E-Mail the following recollection by Keith
Hearn, of Leeds, England, of the stage set-up at Leeds University where he
saw the Who play on Feb. 14, 1970. I have reproduced Keith`s message just as
he wrote it. In 1970, Keith was a student at the University: "Glad that this
old codger can oblige. The concert was in the Refectory hall in the Union
Building. No, I don`t recall speakers at the back of the hall, but my
abiding impression is of this huge stack of them piled up on either side of
the stage - probably chicken feed compared with today`s affairs but
impressive then. As you faced the stage, then above you to your left and
right were the balcony rings. Hard to say now what their floor level was,
but I reckon 12 to 15 feet above the main floor level - low enough to study
the girls` cleavages anyway. These balconies butted right up to the gable
end where the stage was then insert. The sound was definitely physical.
Their closest rival in terms of power output was, I reckon, Family. Hard to
call between them".
Today, Keith is the managing partner of the sizable Leeds law firm of Ford &
Warren. I`ve thanked him in advance on behalf of the list for being kind
enough to help us understand more about the famous Leeds show ......Gary M.