John on guitar?

I was looking through the box set booklet (don't ask me why) and I
noticed an odd thing:  on one of the pictures, John is quite plainly
playing (well, holding) an electric guitar.  It's in the earlier half of
the booklet, on the page after the one where they're trashing their
equipment; in the foreground there's John looking quite McCartneyesque
and playing bass, but the background, blue-and-white picture, features
John with a guitar.  Does anyone know why? (I'm guessing they showed up
for some filming for a TV or promo and someone forgot to bring the bass,
so they just gave him a guitar and said, pretend to play.  Anyone have a
real explanation?)

--LP.