Re: Model Child

What does this song sound like?  I've never even heard of it, let alone
heard it.  As far as I can tell, it sounds like a John Entwistle song
meant for that non-existent 1968 Who album or something, and which also
functioned as the springboard for the whole "Cousin Kevin" plot device on
Tommy.  Am I even close?

By the way, this is something that I've spent some time thinking about in
the last year or so: why didn't the Who release an album of original
material in 1968?  I know that "Tommy" was way overdue then, and I also
know that "Direct Hits"/"Magic Bus" were released as stop-gap measures,
and yet, in the wake of all of this (for me) new Who material from "30
Years" and the "Sell Out" reissue, I've mangaed to compile almost two
album's worth of first-rate material dating from 67 to late 68, stuff
that, IMO, out-distances "A Quick One" by a long shot.  I've even made a
two-sided tape of this stuff--"Melancholia," "Jaguar, "Early Morning Cold
Taxi," that type of thing--that has been in heavy rotation in my tape deck
for a year now.  Why didn't The Who compile an album of all this stuff?
Keep in mind, there's still all that "Odds and Sods" stuff from that same
period--"Now I'm A Farmer," "Faith In Something Bigger," "Little Billy,"
"Postcard"--not to mention the available B-sides and toss-off singles
which, with hindsight, hardly seem like toss-offs at all ("Dogs" has
inpsired an entire Blur album, for Chrissakes: See "Parklife").  And that
doesn't even take into account the studio "Young Man Blues," which I STILL
HAVEN'T HEARD!  I love the fact that I'm getting to hear this stuff for
the first time right now, twenty years into my Who fandom, but I'm even
more intrigued by the idea of this stuff coming out in its own time.  What
was happening in The Who camp that kept all this splendid material in the
vaults?

By the way, am I the only one out there who thinks Daltrey's "Early
Morning Cold Taxi" is one of THE great lost Who gems?

Marshall