Re: Some Weekend-after notes

>On Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:26:21 -0500, mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman)
>wrote:
>
>>I'd say that Hendrix was heavily influenced by The Who and Clapton.
>>Townshend influenced by Hendrix? Maybe, a little...Relax is the only cut I
>>can think of that could possibly.
>
>I don't know which way this goes, since I do not have WF's
>encyclopaedic grasp of recording dates, etc., but Jaguar has a rhythm
>riff from Pete that sounds to me like pure Hendrix.  But who came
>first (as it were)?

Kevin:

Jaguar I didn't think of, since it wasn't on the original release. Thinking
about it, I can't really say that it reminds me of Hendrix...but it is
vintage Who. The same thing they were doing in `65.
Hendrix was a session player for years...you can still find some of that out
there, but there was a flood of it just after he died. Lonnie Youngblood and
The Isley Brothers are two I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not
sure of the date when Experience was formed, but assuming that it couldn't
be any earlier than `66...then The Who came first. Hendrix "made it" in
Britian before he was "discovered" over here (that would be Monterey). He
was seen in a club by ex-Animal Chas Chandler, who became his manager.
Townshend was the first to control feedback, which Jimi took even farther.
Hendrix was a lot more Blues-based than The Who were, however...and it's my
speculation that it came from Clapton's Yardbirds rather than The Stones
(since they were two of the three biggest Blues bands of the time...the
third being The Animals. It's easy to see that Hendrix didn't emulate their
form of Blues).

  Cheers                          ML