Townshend/McCartney

Marshall, you recently wrote:

>>>Actually, you raise a good subject, Ian--i.e., The Who's influence on the
Beatles.  McCartney has actually been pretty free in admitting to his
competitive relationship the Townshend and Co.  "Helter Skelter" he said
was the result of hearing Pete Townshend say he and his group had just
recorded the loudest and hardest rock song anyone had ever put on  record.
McCartney, without hearing the Who recording, decided to one-up  Pete.

Which raises another question:  what song was Townshend talking about?   "Helter
Skelter" dates from 1968, which, record release-wise, was pretty  much an off
year for the Who.  Could it be that studio version of  "Young Man Blues" which
I've never heard but surely someone else has  (WFang, you reading?  Help us
here?)<<<

I believe the song was "ICan See For Miles".  Just going on memory but am pretty
certain that McCartney wrote Helter Skelter after hearing I can See For Miles.
I was surprised because I think "Miles" is pretty tame (for my tastes) and that
Helter Skelter is one of the heaviest metal songs for the Beatles.

"Every show theres been more faking it..."  Pete T. "Somebody Saved me"  (what
did you mean, Pete? <G>)