More Beatles Influence

Actually, you raise a good subject, Ian--i.e., The Who's influence on the
Beatles.  McCartney has actually been pretty free in admitting to his
competitive relationship the Townshend and Co.  "Helter Skelter" he said
was the result of hearing Pete Townshend say he and his group had just
recorded the loudest and hardest rock song anyone had ever put on
record.  McCartney, without hearing the Who recording, decided to one-up
Pete.

Which raises another question:  what song was Townshend talking about?
"Helter Skelter" dates from 1968, which, record release-wise, was pretty
much an off year for the Who.  Could it be that studio version of
"Young Man Blues" which I've never heard but surely someone else has
(WFang, you reading?  Help us here?)

Another clear Who quotation can be heard on side 2 of Abbey Road, with
that crashing three-chord intro to "Polythene Pam."  Though the song
itself is a Lennon composition, the Intro part is McCartney's, as was the
whole medley concept, and idea McCartney has reprised several times in his
Wings career (usually when he finds himself with snippets of songs rather
than real songs: see the final medly on "Red Rose Speedway," most of side
two of "Back to the Egg" and that little suite of songs on side one of
"London Town").  Ian McDonald cites "Polythene Pam" intro as a clear Who
reference in his fascinating "Revolution in the Head"  and I must agree: I
disagree, however, with his assumption that the specific song McCartney is
riffing on is "Pinball Wizard," which was released more or less
contemporaneously with "Abbey Road," I"m pretty sure.

Speaking of connecting little song snippets into a medley or suite, can
anyone say "A Quick One While He's Away"?

And as for concept albums is concerned, can anyone answer me this: which was
released
first, "The Who Sell Out" or "Sgt. Pepper?"  That is, who would have had
a chance to listen to whom (no puns intended)?

I agree with you, by the way: Anthology II is dynamite.  Forget the yawns
of the mainstream press.  For the Beatle-addicted, this thing is like
free drugs.  Almost as much fun as the new Who Re-issues, but not quite.

Marshall