Re: LAL

>>>The soloing Pete does on Heaven and Hell at Leeds OR Tanglewood was
>>rudimentary - the term sluggish - used by PT himself at the time to
>> describe
>>his lead playing, comes to mind.

Townshend was never Ritchie Blackmore as a soloist, but he did more in
expressing emotion with those "rudimentary" solos than others who had
great chops.  The Tanglewood solo IMHO is phrased better than Leeds, I can't
combine them together.  As much as I love Clapton, Duane Allman, Steve
Howe etc, they sometimes go a little off the wank meter.  I also don't think
Towhshend was unable to play those types of solos because he has
demonstrated such on acoustic.

Sparks is better played, possibly, at
>>Woodstock than at Leeds, but the Leeds sound quality is far superior, and
>>makes the difference for me. To say that Summertime Blues at Woodstock is
>>better than at Leeds strikes me as odd - it doesn`t sound nearly as good
> or
>>tuneful - and you`ll note that my encomium on LAL focuses a lot on the
>>pristine sound of the LAL concert. I rather suspect the Who agree with me
>> on
>>this point more than you, as the Woodstock version wasn`t commercially
>>released by the band(nor did it appear on the Woodstock soundtrack, not
> the
>>first one anyway). It finally appeared on a video, whereas the Leeds
>> version
>>was released in edited form as a single in 1970.

I've always felt Summertime Blues at Woodstock had superior backing
vocals, drumming, and solo.  Whether the band agrees with me or not doesn't
really have any validity given the number of gunshot wounds in their
collective feet.