On Growing beards

     I've always wondered what the phrase "and their beards have all grown
     longer overnight" in "Won't Get Fooled Again" meant.  About a year ago
     I discovered a smilar phrase in a George Orwell article.  He discusses
     British Communist Party members who became anti-communists after the
     Hitler-Stalin Pact and said that they "grew their beards."  I would
     assume that the phrase means to radically change one's political
     beliefs.  However I've searched in American dictionaries, British
     dictionaries, I've even called the library but they couldn't help me,
     either.  Can anyone confirm this?
                                                -BSC