Pete solos

I meant to respond to someone's posting awhile back  citing Pete's solo
on "Love REign O'er Me" from the 1982 Shea Stadium performance as it
appears on the "30 Years" video.  I'm glad someone brought that up.  I
was all set to stop watching the video, figuring the best bits were
already over (no Moon!), when suddenly Pete steps up and unfolds this
beautifully crafted, lyrical solo worthy, I think, of a note-by-note
analysis.  That's the kind of melodic intuition you only acquire from
experience, it seems to me.  I was also glad I kept watching for the way
the video made me rethink Kenney Jones, whom I always thought of as a
splendid drummer unfortunately unsuited to The Who.  On record, yes, he
does seem wrong--too controlled, maybe.  I had assumed that live he
just kept a beat.  But in that extended performance of "The Music Must
Change," in which what looks like a very drunk Pete Townshend runs The
Who all over the map without a clear idea where he's going, Jones keeps
up as intuitively as Entwistle, providing Townshend with a powerful
driving center that--dare I say it?--Moon might not have been able to
provide.

Marshall