Re: The Who Digest Vol 3 Num 74

Alan, re:

>So...what _did_ he say?

Regarding Pete's interview for the Timmothy White radio show, Timmy was
covering Pete's career and said something to the effect of (but not the exact
wording)... "So, 'Rough Boys' was sort of like a coming out?" To which Pete
replied, "No. A lot of my gay friends called me up after hearing the song and
congratulated me for my courage." Then he went on to say that he "...was not
gay..." and he explained what he meant by "I Want To Bite And Kiss You..."
(I'm still waiting for Scooter to explain what he meant when he said it to
me! ---although I think I know the answer to that one!) and he went on
further to say that "And I Moved" was not a "gay song" either, but a song
that he wrote for Bette Midler, which she didn't use.

It seems both songs were interpreted as a "coming out" and Pete quite clearly
said, just the opposite. Timmy's "quotes" in his book supposedly came from
THIS radio interview and from what I read in the book, it was total FICTION.
This is just another example of why Pete hates the press. Shortly after all
this, Howard Stern was asking Roger and/or John if "...Pete wears a dress!"
One of these days, I'll buy a CD-r and put all my vinyl on CD. At that point,
I'll be more than happy to make people tape copies of this interview (and a
lot more stuff), which caused a lot of "problems" for Pete.

BTW, this commentary is just pointing out the facts on this matter, not a
criticism of our friends on the Digest who are into "alternate lifestyles"...

-wf