Who gender issue

Gary, Re:

>I`m a Boy is not an implicit derision
>of machismo in any way - quite the contrary....

>...There is, here, this early, evidence of Pete`s brilliant imagination and
>emerging narrative talent, but nothing that shows a disdain for traditional
>male-female roles. (It is rather a satire on the preoccupation of modern
>society with science and the alleged benefits thereof). Tatoo is, yes, a wry
>commentary on how some boys try to establish a virile identity, but all Pete
>is really saying is... be yourself. Nothing very different from what the
>local Community leaders, the pastors, schoolteachers etc., would affirm.

        Yes, Pete's songs may not show disdain for traditional male/female
roles (personally, I wouldn't mind if he did,) but those songs are about
boys.  Because of that fact, I can understand why a girl would have trouble
relating to the lyrics;  She would have to dig beneath the surface to find
the general meanings of the songs.  What did you think of the movie Thelma
and Louise?  Did you find it easy or difficult to get the theme of the
movie: liberation and assertiveness?  Or like the millions of men who saw
or didn't see it, pass it off as a "chick flick," just for the simple fact
that it was a story about two women.
                                                                Stacey