Re: Great Boot Debate revisited (long)

Kathy, re:

>A counter arguement can be made that it is the retailer, not the
manufacturer that is taking the greater risk of being busted, and therefore,
they try to justify the higher prices based on that, but I don't think it
holds up. More likely it that the once free flowing channels of wholesale
sources has dried up considerably, (and hopefully temporarily), and the
product goes through a larger number of hands (each taking their $ cut),
before reaching the consumer level. Thus, if the retailer is not well
connected, he pays more,
passing the cost on to us.

Actually, I think very few retailers here have been "busted". The
manufacturer, on the other hand, has had HUGE shipments confiscated. As for
the prices, a local guy around here sells singles for $35 and I know he's
paying about $14. He's just a hog... I think they were ALL making money when
the stuff was flowing, and now that it's not, at least here in the garbage
state, the record shows are REALLY dying out...

Oh well...

- -wf