Quad

Adding my experience with Quadrophenia.  I agree with those of you who
described Pete's reference to "what happened" rather than what *is*
happening.  For me, when I was 18 and listening to the album every day I
*felt* the effects of the emotions which Quad brought out in me.  Yet
I could not begin to understand what it was I felt.  Years later, from my
vantage point of 30, I do understand.  Still incredibly difficult to
explain but I can see where I was back then.  How many of you drove the
car down to the beach on a stormy day and listened to Quadrophenia while
watching the waves crash against the gray horizon...perhaps you had tears
in your eyes....and asked yourself, "why?".

Different topic:  I don't know what the official billing name is for this
mini-tour.  All the talk about with/without PT, Keith, etc...To me it
doesn't matter.  If you want to think of the Who's Left band as the Who,
go ahead, no one cares...if not, so what..  I do know this: when I finally
got through to one of the three ticket agents operating the TicketShafter
phones, I asked for Who tickets and at the end of the transaction she
said, "OK, your tickets for The Who are confirmed...blah...blah",
whatever.  Enough.

I am still unclear as to who may/may not be backing PT up in the guitar
dept. for the MSG dates.  In fact, still unclear if the whole band will
have the '89 backup.  What I would like to see (because it is now 1996,
not 1973) if there are to be any backups, is the type of orchestral
arrangement that Roger and John had on the DST tour.  It worked well with
the extended Quad set at the WolfTrap show.  Comments? Would it work at
MSG?  Would it be too "wimpy" for the NYC crowd?  We'll see.

John Brawley

"John Mason, we've got the best cars here!"