Re: More on bootlegs...

Re:
>1. Its cheaper-The average bootleg cost $30 US, I can buy about 15 high
>bias tapes for that much.  With rare exception I can get any recording
>for the cost of a tape and postage.

In Japan Maxell XLII's cost almost 5 bucks a pop; CD boots only about $25.
When you figure in overseas postage, plus the time and effort involved,
it's worth my while to get the CD's if I can.

Re:
>2. Copies-it is easy to copy tapes for others or yourself.  You have to
>have  a lot of equipment, which most people don't have, to make copies
>of CDs.

*Of course* I'm not advocating making CD to CD copies; the technology isn't
yet affordable for your average Joe Blow or Taro Tanaka.

Re:
>6.Whats out there?-As somebody said here before, the amount of Who
>bootlegs are a mere fraction of the total Who recordings floating
>around.  Granted not everyone wants every known note played by the
>band, but there are some incredible tapes out there that will never be
>made into a bootleg.
>7.Its more fun-There is the thrill of the hunt...Its a lot of fun to find
>tapes that you didn't know existed and/or hear songs you've never heard
>before.  I for one have made many friends through this hobby.

To me, trading and buying the CD's compliment each other.  I found buying
boot CD's a great way to get my feet wet as a trader.  I love tape trading,
and really get off on dealing with people from all over the world!  But on
the other hand I feel very satisfied after finding a boot CD as well.
Furthermore, a boot CD is a known quantity; you can listen to it in the
store and judge the sound quality; you can't do this with tape trading,
unless you're lucky enough to find someone who lives close to you.

Bruce, you seem to be talking about live concerts.   What about stuff like
"From Lifehouse to Leeds", "Maximum BBC" and "Life With the Moons"?

Chris
http://www2.trn.or.jp/chris/index.html
150 東京都渋谷区東 3-12-12
3-12-12 Shibuya-ku Higashi, Tokyo 150
TEL: 03-3486-8861 FAX: 03-3486-8862

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence." -- Jeremy S. Anderson