Re: Quick One Stereo vs. Mono Debate

> From: mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman)
> Subject: Re: Quick One Stereo vs. Mono Debate
>
> One of the great things about computer technology is that they could
> separate everything (even from the mono Masters) and remix it in stereo. For
> instance, they found some of Elvis Presley's Master tapes were flaking...so
> they "repaired" the missing sections to perfection, using lesser copies of
> the music.

Actually audio technology is not to the point where one can take a completed
stereo mix and 'unmix' this into a 'new' multitrack.  We're just not
there...yet.

> I don't know how into this technology Astley & Co. are, and this may be part
> of the problem...but even the MCA tapes of MY GENERATION could be remixed
> into stereo if they really wanted to. So it goes back to the same old thing:
> what is MCA willing to do (as in: spend) in order to do the catalog justice?
> Copy tapes (in the case of AQO) could easily be upgraded.

Mr. Astley and Co. are using Studio Audio Ltd.'s SADiE mastering system along
with a buch of toys from Cedar for the restoration end.  This is top of the
line stuff for sure, I use it daily.  Except for the Cedar stuff, we don't
do much restoration, and at US$14,000 per box, it's a mighty expensive toy.

> Given the attitude that's coming from MCA, I would say that holding your
> breath would probably be a bad idea...

Too true.  If MCA does a re-re-issue though the consumers will be on to them
for sure.

Goose