Times Quad Ad

The full page ad in today's New York Times (Arts and Leisure section) for
the upcoming MSG shows states that Roger Daltrey, John Entwistle and Pete
Townshend, with special guests in concert, will perform The Who's
Quadrophenia, words and music by Pete Townshend, on July 16, 17 and 18 at
MSG. In other words the surviving members of the Who are not billing
themselves as "the Who" for these shows at least. I think this is fully
appropriate, not because Zak Starkey and assorted guest and supporting
musicians will be on stage but because the Who have not been a functioning
band since the early 1980's. It would have been easy and, as WF has pointed
out, in the commercial interest of the band to present themselves as the Who
for these shows - the fact that they have opted to present themselves as
individual performers is to their credit in artistic and moral terms,
however. It shows that they are aware of and willing to run the risk that
advertising the show in this way may result in fewer tickets being sold,
although in fact I don't think they have anything to worry about... BTW, the
picture from the cover of the original Quad album, of a parka-clad figure on
a scooter, is reproduced in the ad albeit with an understated faintness.
Looking at this picture closely for the first time in a number of years, I'm
wondering who the figure on the machine is. Is it Keith Moon?.....Gary M.