Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #169

Ian, re:

>Why do you think Zeppelin called it quits after Bonham's death?  They at
least KNEW that their drummer was essential to their music.  The original
members of the Who ignored that simple fact.<

Well, depends on how you look at it.  Pete went public very early on after
Kenney Jones was recruited to say that this was a new band.  I even read
references to them in 1979 as THE NEW WHO.  I think Roger and John,
publically anyway, were noncommittal about whether it was a new band or not
(Daltrey probably would have agreed with Pete, John may not have cared as
long as they hit the road).  Also, The Jones-era Who did attempt to approach
their music differently from the old Who (live keyboardist, horn section,
Townshend's altered writing style).

- --Jim