Set Lists

Fang wrote:
>>You must have missed the point... The cancelled Euro/South
American/Austrailian tour WAS going to be called "The Who"... The only
"mistake" that was made was that it should have been targeted to the USA
first. My guess is they were trying to "test the waters" without taking a
risk on the stadiums not selling out... Instead, the whole thing backfired. I
wouldn't be surprised if Roger & John continue with this "tour" as "The Who"
without Pete AFTER MSG... Just a guess. It would be a smart move with all the
"Who hype", but while they may be musical geniuses, they're not
marketing/business geniuses...

This was news to me.  Frankly, I'm surprised.  Are you certain that this is
accurate information?

Regardless, of what they are called, I'd like to comment that the best part
of the PsychoD, DST, and PT mini-club tours were the set lists.  In 82 and
89, the bands they took out on the road as The Who played the same old
predictable Who hits for the six thousandth time.  There were actually times
in 89 where I got bored.

Subsequent tours have been infinitely more compelling, mainly because they
were more fluid, less choreographed.  In 93, Pete played a different set
every night.  It was awesome.  In 94, while Roger and John's  set list
remained fairly stagnant (hard to improv w/ an orchestra), it was an eclectic
and offbeat set, mixing the big hits with some nice surprises - The Relay,
Another Tricky Day, Imagine A Man (at Carn Hall, at least).  In 96, Pete
didn't vary the set list much, but he played lots of interesting stuff - "Cut
My Hair," "All Shall Be Well," "Heart To Hang On To," etc...

Frankly, I don't care all that much what they call themselves in any
combination or permutation (that's their business/ethics to work out).  I
care how good the band is and what they play.