Re: Who IS The Who

Mike-

re:

>Is the Band still the Band without Robbie Robertson?

>If Pink Floyd is no longer Pink Floyd without Roger Waters
>(which I don't really disagree with), why were they still Pink Floyd after
>Syd Barrett left?

Good point.  You could ask the same question about Genesis and Peter Gabriel
or any number of other bands.  To me, at least, there are two important
questions about "does a band retain its identity when the founding/creative
member leaves?"  They are:

1.)  Does the leaving person tell or "give permission" to the others to keep
on using the name.

2.)  Is there someone there to step into the creative void?

Pink Floyd is a good example.  Syd said, "sure, go ahead," and Roger was able
to step in and take that role.  When Roger left, he said "no, it's dead," and
Gilmour had to put together a committee to write "Pink Floyd-ish" songs.

So we return to The Who.  Will Pete give Roger and John "permission" to use
the name?  Who knows.  Can Roger or John step into Pete's creative role?
 Roger can't.  As for John, maybe.  I don't think he'd try.  Not that he
absolutely couldn't--I just think he has too much respect for the band and
for Pete to do that.  But here I go thinking for other people again. . .

Shine on, you crazy diamond. . .
AThosWhite