Who's better?

Having followed the rock scene reasonably closely since the late 60's I'm
convinced that attempts to convince another person that the Who is superior
to a band they say they like better are doomed to failure. I think one
either "gets" the Who or doesn't. Once that bedrock feeling is there,
discussions such as we have on this list become meaningful, educational and
never less than interesting but are unlikely to sway someone who isn't
particularly moved by the sound of the Who. A number of listers have pointed
out that record sales are no necessary barometer of the artistic merit of a
band. This logic applies here as well. Putting it another way, if someone
thinks that Leon Uris or John LeCarre are better writers than, say, William
Faulkner or Thomas Wolfe (and based on sales I believe Uris and LeCarre were
more admired) how will I ever convince them they are wrong?.....Gary M.