RE: "Is you is or is you ain't The Who..."

>>I have to agree with this. Daltrey, Entwistle, and Moon are/were fantastic
>>performers, and added a lot to the performance of those works. BUT one
>>listen to the TOMMY Demos speaks volumes. If The Who had broken up at that
>>moment in time, Townshend could have easily tarted those demos up and
>>released it as an album. And the odds are it would have been just as big.
>
>Huh? I've listened to those demos, too, and they have their points of
>interest. But Roger Daltrey *made* Tommy. To this day I cannot imagine
>anyone else persuasively singing "See me. Feel me. Touch me. Heal me."
>Roger at the very least has to be on anyone's short-list of the
>greatest rock singers of our time. Pete, while his voice has a certain
>charm, is simply not a great singer. Had Pete released the demos,
>however "tarted up", as a solo album, it would now be one the great
>rock "trivia" items.

No kidding!  And could Pete play the drums like Moon or the bass like JAE?  No
way.  I've listened to the demos too, and while I do like them immensely, it
just wouldn't have been as good without the rest of the band.  Pete did the
writing, that's true, but everyone else contributed in such a way as to make
the song *theirs.*