Re: "Is you is or is you ain't The Who..."Sun Dec 7 15:04:29 PST 1997

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:02:34 -0400, mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman)
wrote:

>I have to agree with this. Daltrey, Entwistle, and Moon are/were fantastic
>performers, and added a lot to the performance of those works. BUT one
>listen to the TOMMY Demos speaks volumes. If The Who had broken up at that
>moment in time, Townshend could have easily tarted those demos up and
>released it as an album. And the odds are it would have been just as big.

Huh? I've listened to those demos, too, and they have their points of
interest. But Roger Daltrey *made* Tommy. To this day I cannot imagine
anyone else persuasively singing "See me. Feel me. Touch me. Heal me."
Roger at the very least has to be on anyone's short-list of the
greatest rock singers of our time. Pete, while his voice has a certain
charm, is simply not a great singer. Had Pete released the demos,
however "tarted up", as a solo album, it would now be one the great
rock "trivia" items.

Kevin B. O'Brien
kob1@ix.netcom.com
"May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies."
                                                        Voltaire