Re: MG & Blues & Blonkers ("...with my pocket calculator...")

Mark, Re:

> Bernd:

> I had hoped to blow you away by knowing of Blonker, but obviously YOU don't.

Ok, I'll admit it:  I've never heard about Blonker before...

> I have a friend who grew up in Germany, and his uncle is in the band...and
> that is the only reason I knew about them (or have the album). We must be
> the only two Americans who've heard that music.
> The LP I have is Die Zeit Steht Still, which has been translated for me as
                            ~     ~
                            s     s
> Time Stands Still (I know it's not accurate).

This translation isn't that bad.  But what about `Time Has Stopped' or `Time
Does Not Pass'?

> And I would appreciate translations of the titles, if you wouldn't mind.

No problem.  But I think we should discuss them in private e-mail.

> Well, I did intend to visit Germany at some point. But I assume that most if
> not all Germans are multi-lingual (as opposed to most Americans, who are
> mono-lingual...as am I).

Oh no, don't overestimate the linguistic profiency of my compatriots.

About a year ago, when I was waiting for my Lufthansa (that's a German airline)
flight at Ben Gurion Airport/Tel Aviv, there was a long queue at the security
checkpoint.  Since there were only three security officers who knew German, and
since we were all running out of time, a fourth officer went through the queue
and asked everyone whether he/she spoke English.  Among about 40 passengers in
the queue, I was the only one who dared to pass the security check in
English...

When in Germany, you will get along with English only as long as you stay
within the main tourist centres.  Go to an unknown small town or village, and
you'll be lost...

You are nevertheless welcome over here.  Cheers,

Bernd