Newsletters-30 yrs. later

Since I have kept all the newsletters from the Original "Who Fan Club of
England" (1966-70), I thought I could share excerpts with you on a regular
basis, a sort of "30-years later" type of thing. Let me know what you
think. I won't post them if they're not appreciated.

from the MAY/JUNE 1966 ISSUE:
  "On Monday, 28th March, Richard Cole and I (Neville Chesters), sailed
from Dover to Boulogne where we experienced our first mishap. The van and
all the instruments were confiscated by French customs because we didn't
have an official receipt for the gear. They said if we could put up 1,000
pounds by the morning they would let us through. Polydor immediately sent
the money so we we able to carry on to Paris. On Tuesday, The Who arrived
in Paris. Most of the day was taken up rehearsing for 'Music Hall De
France', a French television show. In the evening, Keith, John and Richard
looned around some clubs.The following day the boys again rehearsed and
finally did the show at 7p.m......
  "Friday we rehearsed all day for 'Ready,Steady,Go'. The show went off ok,
which was surprising since half the cameramen didn't speak English and kept
goofing things up. That evening The Who did a live radio show.....
  "Saturday we all slept till 1p.m. In the afternoon, the boys did a
matinee at the Locomotive Club and did a midnight show. The reception there
was fantastic. I honestly think The Who are now almost as big as The
Beatles in Paris."

  Tail Pieces: Pete has moved to a new flat in North London... John has a
pet bedgeringer called Ollie...Keith is having a calf-skin coat made by my
friend Fiona Clive-Ross...Roger has a dog called Mouse...John and Pete are
having pure-silk Union Jack jackets made...John is having a special bass
guitar made which will look like a hockey stick...Marshalls took over a
week to repair gear Pete smashed on the Paris trip...Pete wrote and
produced 'Run Run Run' by The Cat...John has lost a lot of weight
lately...Pete has bought a guitar from Cyrano, once a road manager with The
Who, now with Gary Farr and The T-Bones...Pete has traded in his 1958
Lincoln Continental for a 1964 model.

Oh my Lord! I drive a 1963 Lincoln Continental convertible! Do great minds
think alike, or am I thirty years too late? Well, regardless of what  cars
we drive, I've got five-years-worth of ancient British newsletters here. If
you'd like excerpts on a sort of monthly continuing basis, let me know. I
love typing.
...Dennis