Re: one disc or two?

Dave Hughes

Brendan, re:

>>> Wow, that's right! They could conceivably put all the music
on one disc (~75 minutes)....what would be cool on a second disc
would be to put the extra tracks and then some datafiles, like
say, scanning in the photos from the booklet that came with the
original pressing and some quicktime of Pete talking about
the creation of Quad. But then, after the Tommy CDROM, I suppose
he's had enough of multimedia.

        I know this was discussed before, but I'll say it again anyway,
because Dave Hughes brought up an interesting point.
        The original Quad, in it's present length, would not fit on a single
disc;  it's about 3 or 4 minutes too long.  That's why they were discussing
cutting about that much time out of Quad several months ago.  THANKFULLY, they
opted NOT to do that, IMHO.  I'm also real glad that it turns out the entire
Quad has been remixed.  But, now, back to the extra tracks.
        Dave is right;  82 mins worth of music on 2 cds is rather a ripoff,
and when extra cd space is available, there are a lot of options.  I think
having the original sides 1-3 of the lp on the first disc, and then side 4,
and an appropriate break (15 seconds or so) followed by the extra tracks would
have been appropriate (or other "multimedia" information, as Brendan
suggested).  BUT (!), adding a 3rd disc with extra tracks, or multimedia
stuff, I think is a great idea!  A cd cost, what -- 7 cents to manufacture?!
(Some rediculously low cost, anyway!)   The only drawback is that MCA would
have to use that "bulky" multi-disc packaging, for the 3 discs, instead of the
newer style slimmer dbl-disc packaging.
        Personally, I think the 2 disc packaging would be perfect.  But it
looks like we'll have to hope for those extra tracks on that expanded Odds &
Sods (Which oughta be a FOUR-DISC set, but we'll have to wait and see....)

                gary m.