re:MG/Who/Zep/Blues etc.

>Mark-who is this "we" that has decided what to recognize as the blues? Muddy,
>Son House, Robert Johnson, heck, even Buddy Guy worked and played on
>plantations.  My definition of the Blues is no more broad than your
>definition of Jazz or C&W.  When I started college I took a "History of Rock
>And Roll" course.  The instructor informed us that the blues was 12 bars
>long, and that lyrically the 2nd and 4th verses were identical to the 1st,
>while the 3rd verse was different.  Is this the form that "We recognize"?
> "We" are missing an awful lot if that is the case.  Muddy and Robert Johnson
>and all the other Delta Bluesmen rarely played any Blues that fit into this
>narrow formula.

Scotty:

I think by "plantation" music, the authors are talking about what was around
during the slavery period. Again, you're putting to broad a definition on
this. If my band played in a prison, would the music therefore be called
Prison Rock?
Who is the "we," you ask? We, and I'm not necessarily including myself in
this, are the people who don't call Hendrix a Bluesman even though he did
play some Blues and used a Blues form for most of his songs. We who attempt
to define something for what it is, rather than what it could be if changed
into another form.
We, I guess, denotes those who (at least from my reading) see the form of
Blues as it is thought of today as beginning with Ledbelly, Johnson, Blind
Lemon Jefferson, and so on.

>Regarding "Prehistoric Blues" by Thaag and the Sabre-Tooths, everyone knows
>that this is a total ripoff of the famous Neanderthal folk song "Darling,
>What's For Tea?"

I don't know...I once heard a song called Alley Oop that may have been the
direct influence for Thaag. It's a hard area to pin down, since most of the
music of that time was preserved on crude little items known as Eight Track
Tapes.

                   Cheers                   ML