Re: Pagey, JamersonSun Dec 7 14:53:05 PST 1997

On Thu, 30 May 1996 18:22:08 -0400, ScottyTee@aol.com wrote:

>Kevin-
>
><<OK, how about Page was never one-half the guitar player that any of
>those others is? I really don't give a damn how many styles Page could
>incorporate. I mean, it isn't like I'm going to buy someone's album
>just so I can trace all the possible roots of what they are playing.
>As a blues player, Green was the best of that bunch (and I bet Clapton
>would be the first to agree). Green was just scary sometimes, he was
>so good (and I heard he is starting to play again). Beck is the best
>guitar player to have ever come through the Yardbirds, and I never
>quite figured out why he never got the attention the other two did.>>
>
>Just to clarify-
>
>While I disagree with your assessment of Page, I didn't say that Page was
>equal to or better than the other players.  I was refuting Mark's comment
>that Page "didn't do anything that Clapton, Green,and Beck (among others)
>weren't already doing."  Page did do some things that those guys didn't do,
>but that doesn't mean you have to like his playing.

Oh, heck. I have a few LZ albums, and I even enjoy them. I am more of
a Jeff Beck booster, really, but I thought I'd throw something out to
feed the discussion. One could just as well argue that ranking
musicians is inherently silly.

><<And no bass lover should overlook the work of
>James Jamerson, the premier Motown bass player. You've all heard his
>work, even if you never knew who did it.>>
>
>Couldn't agree more.  Jamerson was the greatest of all, IMHO.

Didya ever hear/see the Dr. Licks compilation?

Kevin B. O'Brien
kob1@ix.netcom.com
"God made an idiot for practice. Then He made a school board."
                                         Mark Twain