Re: Roger's view on Zeppelin

>>I can't see Roger (Pete yes) being threatened by anybody or suffering
>>from low self-esteem.  Besides if there was a group/person that The Who
>>felt threatened by I believe it was James Marshall Hendrix not Led
>>Zeppelin.

I've always felt Pete's dislike of Zep was more personal than simple "star
rivalry," stemming from the Who's first recording session when Page was
brought in to initially stand-by ("in case")--then replace--Pete on guitar.
 That had to hurt.  Page was already a well-known session player, while Pete
was just a wanna-be.  Being replaced on your first record is bad enough;
having that replacement--"just a session player"--go on to be a major rival
is an extra kick in the butt.  Then there's the fact that Page had a cobbled
together, only-one-in-existence, effects pedal Pete wanted to use.  And Page
wouldn't let him.

(JAE and Moonie plotting to leave the Who for the [future] Zep probably
didn't help much, either.  Even though they didn't go, the rumors must have
gotten back to Pete.)

Townshend (as well as Clapton and others) seemed more in awe of Hendrix than
the bitter rivalry he has with Page.  This kid came out of nowhere and simply
blew them all away with his abilities.  There was competition, sure (witness
Monterey), but more respect than negative rivalry.  Other than some comments
on Hendrix's self-destructive lifestyle, I can't recall much in the way of
negative statements by any of Jimi's contemporaries; at least the one's who
weren't part of his band.

Mick Noland