Re: BBE vs. STH

B. Gramlich wrote
> > As you say, that's your opinion.  Every other possible criteria has
> > proven your opinion wrong on this point though.

> Two things:

>    1.  All of your `criteria' were only measures of the popularity
>    of STH.  I never claimed that STH wasn't popular.  But you still
>    have to show me why I should have any reason to take STH as a
>    honest rock song.  To me, STH still is a boring masquerade, a
>    popularity trick, and whatever nasty words I chose in my previous
>    postings...  2.

	What other criteria are there again?  Is there anything else I
could use besides us plain old disagreeing?  Sales, critics, long term
sales, polls, retrospectives, the band themselves... Yes, its all
popularity in some form or other.  Should I start arguing why I think
going to the F chord arpeggio was a really nice touch?  Or why
Townshend's solo made the song structure disjointed?  Then it's just a
shouting match of IMHOs.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to convince you that it's honest.  I'm trying
to convince that most of the world thinks differently than you on this
point, and that you are in the overwhelming minority in your feelings,
and therefore, it's just plain wrong to say that BBE is so very much
much better than STH with any degree of validity except to yell
louder, Damnit, that's what I think!

>    An opinion cannot be wrong.  All you can accuse me of is probably
>    not being honest to myself.  But I can assure you, I am.  STH
>    stinks!  (IMHO.)

An opinion can't be wrong, huh.  Earth is flat.  Cows have 4 tails.
David Koresh was a perfectly normal man.  Aliens are controlling your
thoughts.  Astrology is a valid science.  No one with a brain liked
the Beatles.  Michael Jackson is the Messiah.  Michael Jackson is the
anti-christ.  Stairway to Heaven made fools out of Led Zeppelin.

(yes, there's philosophical objections to all these, but let's just
say some opinions are less supported than others.)

My Generation as 1st rock song:

Thanks to Mark and Gary for your long posts about this, now I
understand what you're saying a little better.  I'm still not sure I
agree, but I see how someone could.  My feeling is that at least in a
musical sense, it's still standard blues chords/progressions.  There
is some innovative stuff, yes, the up-front bass solo, the attitude of
the lyrics, and the all-out anarchy jam at the end, but to me it's
still more or less what went before.  I think it's pretty damn hard to
draw a line with any of these genres or sub-genres of music and say
this, right here, that's where it started.  Humble opinions abound,
but there's just so many grey areas.

-Brad