My Generation as the 1st rock album/song

        I know I'm opening myself wide open to abuse here, but what exactly
     is rock?  I mean rock music as opposed to power pop, punk, r'n'b, etc.
     All this talk about The Who playing "rock" on the My Generation album
     just has me confused (I'd define it as power pop with a strong r'n'b
     taste).  So if anyone feels like going beyond the "man, if you don't
     know, you'll never understand" mode, please explain with examples (25
     pts. each).