Re: The Band's Name: who; Who; The Who; Who?

At 08:39 AM 05/26/96 +0000, Tim Herrlinger <tjherrlinger@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>     Here's something I haven't seen pondered on the list yet.  When
discussing our favorite band, how exactly do _you_ write their name?  What
do you think is the official name?  And when you refer to the band, do you
use the plural form? ["The Who is great."...or..."The Who are great."]

>     Which do you think is correct?
>
>     1. who
>     2. the who
>     3. Who
>     4. The Who

I've always gone for the Who, in the plural.

>     My vote is for The Who and I always refer to them in the plural.  Now
I know there are many more permutations out there.  If we really wanted to
show our biases, we would call them THE WHO!  And I wonder why we've almost
never seen the use of a question mark with their name.  I'd love to know the
very first official usage.

On my "I'm the Face" acetate they are listed as "The Whose." This is crossed
out and replaced by the High Numbers.

Joe
-----
Joe Giorgianni
South Glens Falls, NY  12803

If you are interested in the Who and their records please check out my web
page at:

http://www.capital.net/users/giorgian/